Monday 16 February 2009

Smoking







I have friends who are convinced that a cigarette now and again helps them to relax and combat stress, and as a non-smoker, I cannot argue with this. There are worse drugs on the market which are far more addictive. Furthermore, I would never insist that my friends go into the garden to partake of a cigarette whilst at my home. However, there are some people who really make me want to smash their faces in, despite being a very mild tempered person. This happens when I see a mother holding a baby in her arm and a ‘fag’ in her fingers. This is a dangerous and disgusting way to behave, yet surprisingly enough, I have witnessed it a few times and it is with enormous effort I restrain myself from attacking them. I still muster up the worst look of disgust to give them.

The other side, of course, is the widely accepted belief that passive smoking is harmful. Toxics in the air from cigarette smoke are just as dangerous for non-smokers who are breathing them in. Entertainer Roy Castle, died from lung cancer despite being a non- smoker. Ironically, he had been inhaling smoke whilst entertaining people in clubs for years. Consequently, banning it in public places is a huge step forward in preventing smoke-related illnesses.

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Passive-smoking-linked-to-dementia-409503130.html

http://smokefree.nhs.uk/why-go-smokefree/secondhand-smoke/?WT.mc_id=search

As for implying that film stars exude sex whilst holding a cigarette, this is rubbish! The thrills and passion experienced whilst watching the old movies are more to do with the imagination of a person’s mind, a good script and most importantly, the powerful music that complements the unfolding scenes. Instead of focusing on two cigarettes in an ash tray to imply intimacy, what’s wrong with the touching of two hands to imply the same meaning? It’s all in the mind.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that as a non smoker there are times when it is hard to be tolerant to smokers.For me it's when I see pregnant women smoking without a care in the world, either ignorant to the harm they could be inflicting in their child, or simply not caring because it's all about their craving instead of being uncomfortable for nine months. But at the other end of the spectrum, I know people who gave up smoking on finding out they were pregnant, some started again after giving birth while others didn't. What can I say, live and let live (unless we die of implications re passive smoking).

    ReplyDelete