Saturday 21 February 2009

Stalking is a Bad Thing







Stalking brings back bad memories for me. A few years ago, as I was out shopping with my three small children in tow, my son asked me, "Mommy, why is that man following us?" That was the start of six months of frustration and fear for me. The man continued to follow me everywhere I went. He would be waiting outside my house, outside my friend's house, or a shop that I had gone into. When I confronted him he just looked at me and said nothing and I was afraid. Presents started arriving at my house, put under trees in the front garden, and finally I had a call from the "Express & Star" who had been asked to put an advert in the paper about me which concerned them. I guessed it was from the mystery man and knew I was dealing with someone who must be mentally ill. The Police could not help me because he had not actually touched me and they warned my husband not to approach him. However, he had already done so and thought the warning he had given him would be effective. Up until now, we didn't know where he lived but my husband followed him and knocked on the door. His parents explained that he had the mentality of a child and quite harmless. I had done absolutely nothing to deserve this harassment and I was so frustrated that no-one could help me. Nothing stopped him following me and even when I didn't go out, he would sit outside my front gate, watching my house. Finally, six months down the line, it stopped. I don't know why, only that while it lasted, I was a nervous wreck. Stalking of any kind is mental cruelty. Really bad behaviour.


No comments:

Post a Comment