Thursday 26 March 2009

Lying with Integrity

To lie or not to lie, that is the question. It is wrong to tell lies. However, I believe there are exceptions to this. Although I am not a very convincing liar, I would not hesitate to tell a lie if it seems kinder than the truth. If I could prevent hurting someone by telling a little ‘fib’, I would not feel guilty about it. I would tell a lie rather than worry a child about something he or she would not understand, and explain when they are older, if they remember it and ask again. I have told lies about buying new clothes, in order to avoid confrontation with my husband. I consider this type of lying to be trivial and ‘what the eye doesn’t see the heart doesn’t grieve over’.

Now to the bad lies. People are wrong to lie about their health in order to take time off work. To say you are ill if you are not, is cheating your employers and in effect, stealing their money. Telling lies about your achievements in order to obtain employment is unfair to other applicants and bad behaviour. Perjury is very wrong, perverting the course of justice and so is bigamy, which is very, very, wrong. Lying to your partner about an affair is also one of the most serious types of lying.

To conclude, people who continually boast about what they have done when you know very well they are not telling the truth, is the most annoying type of behaviour, although few of us would challenge them, preferring instead to include it in the next round of gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment